Thursday 21 October 2010

Sarah Palin signs American flag at campaign event - PLUS: Meeting with Glenn Beck and his bodyguards at Disneyland


After so much "Joe Miller insanity", I would like to focus today on some other events which happened recently.

On October 18, 2010, Sarah Palin signed an American flag at a campaign event in Reno, as Salon reported, using footage of the UK Guardian. At first, Salon wasn't 100% certain if she really signed the flag, but on closer inspection, it's clear that she did indeed. I made a short clip:





Screenshots:

signed flag 4

Signed flag 1

Signed flag 1a

signed flag 3

signed flag 3a


Sarah Palin seems to have never heard about the Flag Code:

Flag Code. Subsection 8, part (g): "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

But even if she had, I think she couldn't care less. Remember this picture:


palin-in-runners-world


Flag Code. Subsection 8, part (b): The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

Well, it doesn't appear that Queen Esther has to follow a flag code. But if Barack or Michelle Obama would do a similar thing, it would be on the news 24/7, and the wingnuts would scream for impeachment, expulsion and execution.

Sarah Palin seems to be above all rules as usual.

Regina created a montage with Sarah Palin's most memorable "flag moments":

Flag montage

+++

Speaking about wingnuts - Glenn Beck at Disneyland:

A few days ago, our friend Sondra Tompkins and her husband went with their two kids to Disneyland. Sondra Tompkins is an incredibly real American, an Air Force veteran who has an autistic son, and who had the courage to file an ethics complaint against Sarah Palin in 2009 and who recently spoke out on Palingates against Sarah Palin's faked pregnancy.

Sondra with her kids at Disneyland:

Sondra Tompkins with kids - edited

However, even at Disneyland, you sometimes cannot have a relaxing day-out without encountering some very crazy people.

For example Goofy without the costume:

Glenn Back at Disney

Yes, that's Glenn Beck.

He wasn't alone, but had several bodyguards with him:

Glenn Beck with security

Glenn Beck with security 2


Sondra Tompkins wrote a report for Palingates about her encounter with Glenn Beck at Disneyland:

"I spent months training for a marathon I had planned to run on Oct. 17th. Two weeks prior I broke a toe and came down with a bad case of strep...the marathon was over, and I hadn't even run it. I was devastated, but I picked myself up and managed somehow to muster up a winning spirit and declared "I'm going to Disneyland!" So off we went...

I admit I'm not one for celebrity watching. I've been to Disney a few times and if I've seen a celebrity I wouldn't have known it. Of course I much prefer to enjoy the wonderment and excitement of my two boys as they marvel at all that Disney has to offer.

But lately I seem to have this luck...I guess you could call it luck...of running into "celebrities" I don't particularly care for. As I was walking out of a gift shop next to Splash Mountain I heard this vaguely familiar voice. Loud, like he wanted to be heard. Annoying. Obnoxious. Hmmm....sounds an awful lot like Glenn Beck, though I've never watched his program I've seen snippets, mostly when Jon Stewart has poked fun at him.

Could it really be him? (I look around and see no signs of a family but he's surrounded by grown men with Secret Service-like ear pieces.) Oh, ok, I get it now. It really is Glenn Beck and I'm RIGHT behind him. I'm close enough to see, at dusk, his wet shirt. He was on Splash Mountain the same time we were. Suddenly I feel ill...and dirty.

I quickly hunt down my husband and ask him, "Is that Glenn Beck?" His reply, "Looks like that pinhead to me, but I'm not sure." Right then I turn around and snap a photo with my phone. His posse's checking me out...ooooh, I'm shaking in my shoes now. Wait a minute....no family, and GB is surrounded by 3 or 4 security guys. That's VERY strange. Personal security at Disneyland? What, is he worried about some rogue toddler biting him in the leg? Who the heck needs security at Disney, the "Happiest Place on Earth"? Maybe only unhappy people? Or angry people who make lots of money spreading lies and hatred?

By now I've snapped a couple shots of GB, though the picture quality isn't the best since I turned off the flash not wanting to draw attention to myself. Too late....by now I was getting "intimidating looks" from his detail. I just couldn't help myself anymore and I started laughing. Right then, as they headed off in a different direction I blurted out loudly "Hey, Glenn, gotta have security 'cuz NO ONE likes you!!!" They all turned to look at me. I'm smiling ear to ear. I hope I made their night.

I would have preferred to enjoy my Disney trip without a dose of GB, but in hindsight I wish I would have said more, like "Let me see you cry, Glenn, since you're so good at crying on cue. Cry, baby, cry!!" Something like that. But you know how it is, you think of the really good stuff later. And quite frankly, I didn't want my kids witnessing their mom yelling at a complete stranger.

Or maybe next time I'll just cover their ears..."
+++

Sondra certainly won't mind if I also include two of her comments on facebook about this incident:


Sondra Tompkins - facebook comment Glenn Beck 2

Sondra Tompkins - facebook comment Glenn Beck


Sondra wasn't the only person who spotted Glenn Beck at Disneyland and reported it on the internet. I found this conversation on myspace:


Myspace - Glenn Beck at Disneyland

+++

At the end I would like to come back briefly to Joe Miller, because the Ed Show had an excellent piece with Eric Boehlert from Media Matters about the arrest of Tony Hopfinger. Boehlert said that the "Tea Party is putting their war against the press into practice." I hope that the mainstream gets the message and doesn't bow to Joe Miller, Queen Esther and her thugs in the future, because there will certainly be similar incidents. In addition, journalists should not stop to ask questions and demand answers from candidates.



+++

PLEASE RE-TWEET:




+++

PLUS - Queen Esther spotted something:

Oh oh...somebody made Sarah Palin angry!


Johnny tweet

Who is "Johnny"? And since when are Rush, Levin and Beck "big guns?" In Sarah Palin's fantasy world, apparently.

"Johnny" is Jonathan Martin from Politico, who had the audacity to publish a critical report about Sarah Palin. Doesn't he know yet that it's God's rule that Sarah Palin is off-limits?


The election is two weeks away, but the campaign trail reviews of Sarah Palin already are in, and they aren’t pretty.

According to multiple Republican campaign sources, the former Alaska governor wreaks havoc on campaign logistics and planning. She offers little notice about her availability, refuses to do certain events, is obsessive about press coverage and sometimes backs out with as little lead time as she gave in the first place.

In short, her seat-of-the-pants operation can be a nightmare to deal with, which, in part, explains why Palin doesn’t often do individual events for GOP hopefuls.

It’s not that Palin issues outlandish, rock star-like demands such as certain-colored M&M’s in the greenroom. At the events Palin does attend, officials say, she’s no diva; Kind and courteous is the more frequent description.

But the high-maintenance aspects of dealing with the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee have angered and frustrated some conservative candidates and aides who once thought highly of Palin and, for more skeptical Republicans, simply confirmed their view that she’s self-centered and unhelpful to the cause.

Oh, no, you didn't, Johnny! ;-)

+++

My tweet:


+++

UPDATE:

OMG - I think she is losing it. She has twittered 16x today so far, including some re-tweets, and now this:

Refreshing vindication

She is absolutely insane. The people who want her to be the next President are equally insane.
.

No comments: